One of the great parts about volunteering in the MSHS booth at the Minnesota State Fair is the chance to meet so many fellow gardeners as they stop by to renew their membership or join the horticulture society for the first time. Here are the top 10 reasons to join MSHS at the state fair.
1) $5 off! Who doesn’t like a discount! During the fair the Northern Gardener membership is discounted $5.
2) Freebies! Everyone who joins MSHS at the Minnesota State Fair gets a free re-useable tote bag filled with information about pollinators, fertilizer samples and other gifts.
3) More freebies! If you are a new member of MSHS, you also get a $25 credit at the White Flower Farm mail order nursery. We’ll include a catalog from White Flower Farm in your tote bag.
4) A discount right away. If you join or renew at the fair, you will get an automatic 15 percent discount on any merchandise you purchase at the MSHS booth. We have a great selection of garden books, the best garden gloves around, tools, art work and lots of garden-themed T-shirts. (For some reason, the “Winter Sucks” T-shirt is especially popular this year.)
5) A discount later. One of the great benefits of membership is access to discounts at our more than 100 discount partner nurseries and stores. The discount partners include some big names in garden centers as well as specialty nurseries, and even the Friends School Plant Sale. Discount partners are located all around Minnesota as well as in Iowa and Wisconsin.
6) Something to do this winter. Those who join MSHS at the Northern Gardener level or above get two free tickets to both the Minnesota Home and Patio Show and the Minneapolis Home and Garden Show. You know that come February and March, you’re going to need a little weekend activity.
7) Northern Gardener! It’s Minnesota’s ONLY home-grown gardening resource. The award-winning MSHS publication provides essential information and plant recommendations for gardeners in USDA Zones 3 and 4. If it’s cold where you live, you need Northern Gardener.
8) Your picture with a giant tomato. You’re at the fair, so go for it. Right near the booth is our mascot, Tomato Guy. Go over and take a selfie. Your friends will be amazed and amused.
9) A feel-good feeling. MSHS is all about spreading the love of gardening and it happens in so many ways — classes and events, our Garden-in-a-Box program that supplies garden boxes, plants and soil to community groups serving low-income people and children and the Minnesota Green program. Help us encourage the next generation of gardeners!
10) Directions to the Honey Booth. Yea, they are right behind us. (We get asked this question a lot!)
Stop by, we’d love to chat with you about MSHS! We’re in the Horticulture/Agriculture building right near The Dirt stage.